Monday, September 14, 2015

Sept 12: Day around Avalon

The day didn't start out the best as the outboard motor in our dingy wouldn't start.   So, we had to row a long way to get to the harbor.  Did I say that it was a long way, the oars felt like they kept getting shorter and shorter.   We did find someone knowledgeable about the motor who suggested an approach to get it to work.  We had lunch and then split up.  Les went for a hike to the top of the mountains, Dennis and Vicki took a glass bottom boat ride to see a protected underwater area, and I tooled around the town.  We later met up at a sports bar to watch some football and then had a quick dinner before heading back to the boat.  Les had returned to the boat early to try out the suggestions on the motor to no avail, but he did talk a couple of chaps to tow us to our boat.   We were so very glad to not have to row back as it had gotten dark and the seas were angry!   Well, it turned out that the two chaps had a little too much too drink.  I think I realized this when one of them just jumped from the dock splattering himself onto his boat.  Well, we were making out of the harbor when they thought it was getting too rough for them to take us and they suggested that the harbor boat which was nearby could complete the task.   The harbor boat captain indulged us after first joking by asking us if we were refugees.   It was great to be taken back to our boat safely and quickly.

We all headed off to sleep, but that was only the beginning for me.   We had large and frequent swells which tossed the boat every which way.   I had the most difficulty sleeping that night.   It seemed like I was going to roll off my bed.  I eventually moved to the couch in the galley to read for a while.   Oh, I forgot to mention that the boat motion caused this large cracking sound around the galley steps every 30 seconds or so. And then there is always the rolling of objects and tinkling of glass.   Anyway, I did manage a couple of hours of sleep, and I think the others were a little sleep deprived as well.

Les took some lovely videos of his hike (See links to videos below).

Even though the beach and harbor seems crowded, we were told that things are down
The was a women's outrigger race from Avalon to Newport Beach this weekend.


Where is our raft?


Notice the 10 piece band on the wall.  We ate lunch here.

Les's overlook of Avalon

Les conquers the peaks above Avalon

Video Link: View from Conservatory Lookout above Avalon

1 comment:

  1. I am a friend of Les' and have done a lot of sailing. I sleep with earplugs! It's great unless there is a man overboard call. Haha

    ReplyDelete